Monday, February 10, 2014

Hoenner veer veer.

On a mission towards Ikea, I approached an old lady to confirm my direction:

Me: God Morgen, bus mod Ikea?

She: Gomo-en, blah blah blah hoenner veer veer.

The search engine between my two ears scanned every corner of my brains, 

And came up with: did you mean honderd veer veer?

The Afrikaans “honderd veer veer” equals “hundred feather feather” but seeing that Afrikaans is sometime somewhat close to Danish, I decided that it meant that bus number 144 will take me in the direction of Ikea.

As a number 144 was not mentioned on the route guides, I asked the first bus-driver to arrive: 

Bus-driver 1: Get on. Get off at the next stop. Take bus 159.

I did that and boarded bus 159, after a bitter cold wait of about ten minutes.

Bus-driver 2: Yes Ikea, yes!

I sat right behind the bus-driver, waiting for his dodge to get off. But we drove through one community after the next; one more picturesque than the next one. After awhile, I got the idea to mention Ikea to Grumpy in front again.

Bus-driver 2: Ikea? Passed that long time ago!

Me: What do I do now?!

Busdriver 2: You get off my buss, and go back.

Me: Hoenner veer veer vir jou ook!

I got off at Hørsholm. Bitterly cold, but decided that I need to explore, just to be true to myself! After a few minutes, I could not keep up with wiping my nose, and I got back to the bus-station. 

Busdriver 3: Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,  blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, Ikea!

Me: You will tell me where to get off, please?

Busdriver 3: Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,  blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, Ikea!

Me: Tak

After about 30 minutes, and before Chirpy said “Here you get off!”, I saw the Ikea banners.

In the lampshade department I found exactly what I came for and phone my birthday-son: 

“Lekker verjaar, Vince! Ek is besig om vir jou werk te koop: ‘n Knappa lampskerm vir die portal!”

“Happy Birthday, Vince! I am buying you a chore! A Knappa lampshade for the hall!”

Vince: Since when is a chore a gift?! Or a gift a chore . . .



Saturday was not my day for travelling by bus. After another two boardings, I went home by train. But non  even the train was number 144