Friday, May 16, 2014

Mei & May & Maj

'The Merry Month of May' was a part of Thomas Dekker's play, The Shoemaker's Holiday, first performed in 1599.

O, the month of May, the merry month of May,
So frolic, so gay, and so green, so green, so green!
O, and then did I unto my true love say,
Sweet Peg, thou shalt be my Summer's Queen.

Now the nightingale, the pretty nightingale,
The sweetest singer in all the forest quire,
Entreats thee, sweet Peggy, to hear thy true love's tale:
Lo, yonder she sitteth, her breast against a brier.

But O, I spy the cuckoo, the cuckoo, the cuckoo;
See where she sitteth; come away, my joy:
Come away, I prithee, I do not like the cuckoo
Should sing where my Peggy and I kiss and toy.

O, the month of May, the merry month of May,
So frolic, so gay, and so green, so green, so green;
And then did I unto my true love say,
Sweet Peg, thou shalt be my Summer's Queen.

The month of May (Afrikaans: Mei; Danish: Maj) is the last month of spring in the northern hemisphere and the last month of autumn in the southern hemisphere.




To see a Mayflower bloom in May, means that the Mayflower is rooted soil in the Northern Hemisphere soil.

When I moved to Aarhus in May, I found a city covered in the confetti-like flowers, as well as one very special flower, Xu Mei. It is standard for the Chinese to address one another by using full names, and the family name (surname) before the personal name.
 
I met Mei while we both were involved in the EPOKE-project on the Emdrup-campus in Copenhagen, and travelled by foot and bus across Copenhagen one bitterly cold night in December. During the month of May, Mei stays across the hall from me, on the third floor of the International dorm.

 
Mei, an PhD student in Higher Education Studies at Aarhus University.