Monday, June 23, 2014

the house I call "home" now . . . (2)

Jou kombers en my matras . . .

A sideboard was traditionally used in the dining room for serving food, for displaying serving dishes such as silver, and for storage. It usually consists of a set of cabinets, or cupboards, and one or more drawers, all topped by a flat display surface for conveniently holding food, serving dishes, and even lighting devices.

The earliest versions of the sideboard familiar today made their appearance in the 18th century, but they gained most of their popularity during the 19th century as households became prosperous enough to dedicate a room solely to dining. In later years, sideboards have been placed in living rooms or other areas where household items might be displayed.

Some of the earliest production of sideboards arose in England, France, Belgium and Scotland.



 

 
Christo's the emboya sideboard was made by master craftsman I. B. Voster (off-Harvey road, Bloemfontein). My sideboard was made as a toy, but I have no knowledge about the maker of my piece of furniture.
 
We unpacked all our wine-glasses on Christo's sideboard, next to my miniature sideboard.